At The Dawnay, we recognise the need to equip your child with the desire to find out more, and the skills with which to do so. To this end, our curriculum is broad and balanced with a view that if we can inspire interest and enthusiasm, your child will become involved in their learning and will flourish.
The teaching of English including Reading, Writing , Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar, and Speaking and Listening are taught through the context of a half-termly topic. Letters and Sounds, a phonic scheme, is used for younger children, from Reception to early Key Stage 2.
Maths tends to be taught as a discrete subject; however we make links to topics and real life situations wherever possible, to fire enthusiasm and engaged the children. We especially enjoy applying our maths learning in the outdoor environment. Maths is taught in year groups in KS2 as this has been found to have the greatest impact on each individual’s learning.
Foundation subjects are taught through The Cornerstones Curriculum.
Key Principles of our Teaching and Learning:
- Safe and secure, encouraging children and staff to question and encouraging a culture of trial and error
- a place where mistakes are viewed as learning opportunities
- a place where striving towards personal excellence is actively acknowledged and praised
- motivating and encouraging, praising the effort rather than outcome
- outward facing, showing what is on offer in the wider world and giving opportunities for experimenting able to provide a range of experiences to inspire as many children and staff as possible in whatever area that interests them